- oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ suvaḥ
- bhargo devasyadhīmahi
- dhiyo yo naḥ prachodayāt
- ॐ भूर् भुवः सुवः ।
- भर्गो॑ देवस्यधीमहि ।
- धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ॥
- Let us adore the supremacy of the divine sun, source of all light in this world: it is to him that we are indebted for our pleasures.
- Everything proceeds from its essence, and everything returns to it.
- Let us invoke him to direct our conceptual faculties, so we fully understand the composition of his holy and divine nature
- Surya is the principle of solar manifestation of the Vedic pantheon. Savitur, mentioned in the mantra, is the luminous aspect.
- Gayatri is also symbolically personified as the mother of the Veda and, by extension, the goddess of education.